What Would Coco Do?

"How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone." Coco Chanel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

I love the finer things in life, and I love writing. That's why I'm here. Want Coco to review your product? E-mail me at cococares@gmail.com!

Sunday, July 09, 2006

A Live Lived with Passion Part 1

One of my favorite quotes comes from the movie Chocolat.

"Do not fear death, but rather the unlived life."

Word. So, what drives you? What makes you press on? Does your life consist of work, and little else? I hope not. A person must have passion in his/her life. Now when I say passion, I'm not just simply talking about love, even though that is important, but let's look at other avenues of passion. Today's offering will focus on food.

Do you seem to hit the drive-thru window a few times a week? Then there's room for improvement my friend. One should not eat to live, but live to eat. Food should be delicious, nutritious, a source of enjoyment, and ideally shared with friends or loved ones. Food should be savored rather than shoveled into your mouth. Plus, if you actually take the time to savor and chew your food, you will feel fuller.

Take a look in your refrigerator.....it tells a lot about you. Here's what Coco keeps on hand during this time of year:

1. San Pellegrino water. I am absolutely addicted to it. I do not buy soda unless I have company coming over. There's nothing better on a hot summer day than a fizzy glass of water with a wedge of lime. Although it is called "mineral water," there is little nutritional content, but the lime counts as vitamin C. Plus, if you're trying to cut down on your alcohol consumption, the carbonation is a nice reminder of yummy beer.

2. Chic peas. Also known as garbanzo beans, these are great either tossed in pasta for a great source of protein, or as a fun appetizer. Simply coat the garbanzo beans in olive oil, toss with your favorite spices (I like to use a cajun pepper blend) and roast in the oven until ... well, roasted. Your friends will love them.....trust me.

3. Sliced, frozen french bread. I live in a household of 2, so it's hard not to buy things and end up freezing portion of the item. When I have leftover french bread, I cut the remainder into slices and freeze them. If I have an impromptu gathering, I can always toast that bread with a little oil in the over, and top it with whatever I have for a quick bruschetta. During summer, you should always have fresh basil, tomatoes, mozzarella and red peppers on hand. All of these make great bruschetta toppers.

4. Chicken. If you have time over the weekend, there's nothing better than a chicken you roast yourself. It is so easy, your friends will be impressed, and you will have done it yourself. Cook the chicken according to the instructons on the package, but Coco adds a punctured lemon to the cavity (uhhhh take the produce sticker off and wash it first), a bay leaf, and then salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary.

5. Berries. There is NO reason to buy frozen right now. Berries are very good for you, and delicious! Berries on hand make for an easy dessert. Throw some berries in a bowl, top the serving with a little cream, and Coco gives you bonus points if you serve dessert with a glass of champagne!

Remember.....do not eat to live, but live to eat!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home