What Would Coco Do?

"How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone." Coco Chanel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

I love the finer things in life, and I love writing. That's why I'm here. Want Coco to review your product? E-mail me at cococares@gmail.com!

Friday, July 28, 2006

Coco Knows Parties

My dear and darling husband is out of town. Therefore, I'm having a little soiree this evening. I've invited some super cool ladies, have bought libations and food, and tidied up the place. My actions brought to mind some considerations hosts should think of when throwing a party:

1. Libations. Remember that some of your guests might be tee-totalers. Be sure to have some non-alcoholic beverages on hand. For those inclined to drink spirited beverages, buy white and red wine, along with some interesting beer. Coco believes that if you are going to drink caloric beverages, those beverages should be flavorful. Michelob Ultra is vile....it is a bastard beer with no taste. Coco is serving Newcastle Brown Ale and Amstel Light. I find that among the light beers, Amstel has the best flavor, and Newcastle is just fabulous. As for the wines, I stuck with Yellow Tail varietals. I find this brand to be consistent and very drinkable for those with varying degrees of wine appreciation.

2. Food. Never serve anything drippy or messy. You will undoubtedly have drips and stains on your carpet. Also, you need to remember (especially in this day and age) that not everyone has the same diet. Be sure to have some vegetarian options on hand. Crudite and ranch dip has been done to death, hummus and crackers is a fun alternative.

3. Lighting. Full blown light is only acceptable if it is a day party. For evening affairs, lighting should be subdued and subtle. Candles are great for creating a lovely environment. Be sure that not all of your candles are scented. Too much scent can be overpowering and cause headaches.

4. Music. Consider the group you have invited, or the mood you would like to convey. I find that Jazz is always wonderful. Music should not be so loud that you can not carry on a conversation easily, and it should not be so distracting that lyrics interrupt conversation.

5. Remember that if something goes wrong, if you don't make a big deal about it then nobody else will. Have fun!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI!
Sorry I missed the soiree, did it go well? I spent all weekend with my new hubby and we cleaned, exchanged wedding presents for store credit and then bought a ton of stuff...
And we went on a movie date!
Good times

9:00 AM  
Blogger Coco said...

Hi Muffy. The party was a lovely affair. So sorry you couldn't make it!

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home