What Would Coco Do?

"How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone." Coco Chanel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

I love the finer things in life, and I love writing. That's why I'm here. Want Coco to review your product? E-mail me at cococares@gmail.com!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Coco on Self Care

So Coco has been a bad blogger.....I know I have said this at the beginning of many of my posts, but I'm sorta giving myself a vacation from things. I'm a busy gal. If you read my blog, you know that I have three jobs. As that commercial from the 70's said "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan." Besides that, I also work with Dear Husband on the weekend with weddings.

We do a lot of weddings y'all. That means Coco has zero downtime.

So I've been giving myself some mental and physical downtime. I am too hard on myself sometimes, and I know that some women out there feel the same way, because I have heard from you. I am on a big self-care swing right now. Self-care equals selfish to some, and that's just wrong. Mr. Webster defines the word "selfish" as follows:

Main Entry: self•ish
Pronunciation: 'sel-fish
Function: adjective
1 : concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others
2 : arising from concern with one's own welfare or advantage in disregard of others

I'm pretty sure the fabulous women I know that have a problem with the definition of "selfish" never took the time to look it up. The definition is polar opposite from what they truly are. They are caring, lovely, nurturing people, but when it comes time to turn that care on themselves, they feel like they are being "selfish."

As my dear friend from Lewisburg, Tennessee would say, "that ain't right."

Girl.....it's your time. Who can you care for if you don't care for yourself first?

Self care can mean whatever makes your heart smile. It could be a massage, or a manicure perhaps, but it doesn't need to be anything that costs money if you do not have the means. Take a walk. Enjoy a long bubble bath. Read that book that has been sitting on your bedstand. Take 20 minutes in your morning and meditate. I promise you will feel better.

So what am I doing? I'm listening to music, I'm knitting, or I'm doing nothing at all, and it feels great!

I'd love to hear from some of my dear readers - I know you are out there ;-). Please leave a comment in the opinion area, and tell me what you do for yourself that is "self care." If you find that you are drawing a blank, it's time to change something!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree - sometimes you just need some time to yourself - with anything without proper maintenance it won't work as well. Most people forget that, especially women.

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heaven = hot bath with a cold beer

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home