What Would Coco Do?

"How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone." Coco Chanel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

I love the finer things in life, and I love writing. That's why I'm here. Want Coco to review your product? E-mail me at cococares@gmail.com!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Coco Felled by the Crustacean

Greetings gentle readers. Sorry I have been so neglectful in my postings...but I have been feeling rather awful. Here's the story:

Dear husband had a wedding this past weekend in Virginia. Since I could not get the time off from work, I stayed home. When dear husband goes out of town, and I am my main source of entertainment, I stock up on chick flicks, and nummy things to eat. I put dear husband on a plane Thursday morning, went to work, visited a friend after work, and then hit the store so that I could be home in time for the Grey's Anatomy season premiere. I spied some lovely butterflied shrimp at the store...something I hadn't had in a long time, so I bought them and enjoyed them whilst watching my program.

I was captivated by my show. I honestly don't remember getting up. I had everything I needed within arms reach. After the program, I noticed that my knee and ankle joints were stiff. I told myself that it was probably because I had been sitting, and the shoes I wore that day were super cute, and therefore uncomfortable, so that must be the reason.

A couple hours later I went to sleep. I woke up around midnight in excruciating pain. My knees and ankles were a combination of throbbing pain, stiff and weak at the same time. I knew I needed to do something, but in my groggy and hurty state I could not think straight. I managed to get down the stairs (I felt like an elderly person, clutching the banister with all my might) and got two ice packs. I put them directly on my knees, propped pillows in all sorts of positions, and eventually went to sleep.

The next day I felt like someone had beaten the fertilizer out of me. Thankfully, I did not have the stiffness or pain that I experienced the previous night. I did not have any sort of rash or hives, which I thought was the usual allergic reaction to shrimp, and research on the internet didn't give me any good answers. I called my Mom and related the story to her, she agreed that my symptoms were strange. My Dad can not have shellfish of any sort, a few years ago on a cruise, he found that out the hard way. I managed to get through work that day, but I felt absolutely exhausted. The weekend was spent mostly feeling like crap, and watching chick flicks. I did go out to dinner with Mom on Saturday, which was lovely, but you'd better believe I did not have shellfish! We went to a yummy barbecue joint in her neck of the woods. We had a lovely time, and the meal made me physically feel much better. Is there anything meat can't do?

So today I am back in blog form. I have had some weakness in my legs since that terrible Thursday eve, but I feel like my old self today, and that's a great thing.

And now it seems that I must bid adieu to something delicious. I think the problem was that I had a concentrated amount, and I was not used to that. I'm not going to press my luck. I would not want to experience that scary pain ever again. So buh bye Coquille St. Jacques, Shrimp Scampi, She Crab Soup and all of you other lovely Crustaceans. One day I will go to an allergist to find out for sure if that is the culprit, but I'm pretty sure I'm right given the circumstances, and the fact that my Dad tends to blow up from the shellfish.

Adieu sweet shrimp....adieu.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home