What Would Coco Do?

"How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone." Coco Chanel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

I love the finer things in life, and I love writing. That's why I'm here. Want Coco to review your product? E-mail me at cococares@gmail.com!

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Bastard Guacamole

Super Bowl parties will happen shortly, and the mind goes to snacks (oh yeah and BEER) for the event. I am well known for something I call "avocado salsa." It can't really be called guacamole, because it is not mushed up like the traditional guacamole. This morning I came across a horrid recipe. I am not going to post the recipe. It disturbs me that it exists on the intertubes, and I shall not be a party to spreading it further. I shall simply put the ingredients below:

1-1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
1 avocado
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped pickled jalapeƱo
1/2 teaspoon salt

Do y'all see what the first ingredient is? Peas.....friggin peas in guacamole. HELL NO. Peas are from the devil - they are what evil tastes like, and should be avoided at all costs. And now these little boogers are trying to sneak into guacamole? I am sure that the nutritionist freak/sadist that developed this recipe thought he/she had the best intentions, but this is just so not right. Yes, avocado is high in fat, but it is a good fat, and if you pair the dish with freshly baked wheat tortilla wedges (as I do) rather than greasy bagged tortilla chips, then you should not have to mess with the holy trinity of avocado, cilantro and lime (yes I know there are other ingredients - step off).

If you can't easily tell, I hate peas. It is the only vegetable I will not eat under any circumstances. A few months after I married my Dear Husband, he made split pea soup in my crock pot. HE FOULED MY CROCK POT WITH THE EVIL LEGUME. It was a bad scene when I came home from work and found out what he did. He hasn't made that mistake again, and we will celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary this year.

Anyhoo here's my recipe for avocado salsa. It is super easy, and I promise you it is always a big hit when it is served in my house:

1 chopped, seeded roma tomato
2 chopped semi-ripe avocado
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients in small bowl.
2. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour before serving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home