What Would Coco Do?

"How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone." Coco Chanel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

I love the finer things in life, and I love writing. That's why I'm here. Want Coco to review your product? E-mail me at cococares@gmail.com!

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Brains over Boobs

It's all over the news today that a Texas school board has banned cleavage in high schools. I am fine with this, and so very glad that I am no longer in high school.

I was in high school during the late 80's. It was a time when big poofy permed hair reigned supreme - it was not how much of your decolletage showed. Kids wanted to look like Siouxsie Sioux, Molly Ringwald, or a combination of the two. I was the same. The fashion of the time was oversized tops and skinny jeans or tights. We may have looked somewhat silly, especially looking back, but at least we did not look like hookers.

It's really about parents knowing what their kids are wearing, and supervising what it bought. If the parents are controlling the source of money for these skimpy garments, they really need to lay down the law. Seriously....who wants a creepy older person looking at their daughter in an inappropriate way? No one with any sense that's for sure. Parents need to remember that they stand even taller if they are on top of the checkbook.

Now I am not a parent, and I applaud those out there that are up to the challenge. I know it is extremely hard to monitor your kids, but with the schools coming down on these inappropriate fashions, it certainly helps during clothes buying battles.

This might sound a bit Pollyannaish, but there are other ways that kids can express themselves. Perhaps if the focus is off of fashion (I cannot believe I just typed that), they will concentrate on their studies. They can express themselves through the written word, through art, by excelling in sport. School should not be about how skimpy young women can dress at an already difficult age.

Remember ladies ...... brains over boobs!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>>>>"at least we did not look like hookers."

Well, except when we dressed like Madonna, we did.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Coco said...

Ha! You know, I don't remember kids in my school emulating her style. I do remember those rubber bracelets, but no one walked around in lacy corsets.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Boobs!

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home