What Would Coco Do?

"How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone." Coco Chanel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

I love the finer things in life, and I love writing. That's why I'm here. Want Coco to review your product? E-mail me at cococares@gmail.com!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Coco Digs Classic Movies

Friends - if you solely rely on the AMC channel for old movies (uhhhhh this channel has shown Speed as a "classic") then you are missing out on some great classics. Here's a list of some of my favorites. It is certainly not all inclusive, or in any particular order, but they are just great movies.


To Catch a Thief - the combination of Cary Grant and Grace Kelley in this movie is just irresistible. Edith Head, the grand dame supreme costume designer created some absolutely lovely gowns for Grace Kelley, and the French Riviera locale is breathtaking. Oh yeah....and it's a Hitchcock movie....they don't disappoint.

The Black Swan - This is a swashbuckling movie about pirates in the Caribbean, starring the dashing Tyrone Power (who cares if he doesn't have much range - he's pretty to look at) and Maureen O'Hara. This is not a dark and scary movie, in fact, in this day and age it's pretty campy and fun.

How to Steal a Million - a youngish Peter O'Toole and Audrey Hepburn (how can you not love her) star in this delightful flick. It is about just as the title suggests, and it is non-stop fun. Hepburn was devoted to Givenchy for most of her life, and she is dressed solely in that designer's super mod offerings for this film. Fun fun fun.

Laura - My favorite film noir by far. Directed by Otto Preminger, it stars Gene Tierney (so pretty and real-life crazy) Dana Andrews (hott), and a young Vincent Price (way before he looked macabre). It's a murder mystery that has some great twists!

So go to your local library, put it in your queue on Netflix or buy from that behemoth Amazon. You won't be disappointed!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh* I can remember when AMC truly showed classics. I was just talking with a friend about it the other day. That and when VH1 played music... They had a great morning show back in the 90's.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Coco said...

I know it Mo! Turner Classic Movies is the best place for old movies now.

And don't even get me started at the sad state of MTV and VH1. I remember when MTV first started.

Video Killed The Radio Star 4eva!

1:15 PM  
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Although I don't watch AMC anymore because, as you rightly stated, movies made 5 years ago can't be classics, it is the only "classic" movie channel I get ... Turner Classic Movies, which is not offered in my cable subscription, is a far superior channel by far

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home