What Would Coco Do?

"How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone." Coco Chanel

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

I love the finer things in life, and I love writing. That's why I'm here. Want Coco to review your product? E-mail me at cococares@gmail.com!

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Pretty Pretty Yeast

Oh when will people start thinking....I ask you. You know....that vast area between a person's ears? Just because a word might sound "pretty" doesn't mean that it should be used.

For example - Chlamidya, to a stupid person, might sounds like a lovely name for a little girl. You bet she will petition the court to get her name changed post haste.

Anyhoo - the reason for my post. Coco might be attending a rather swanky ball in November, so I decided to google "ball gowns." I clicked on the first referenced website, scrolled through the pictures of meringue-like dresses, and came across this one.

Yes, it is vile, but the truly tragic thing about this poofy disaster is the name they have given the design.

Candida. Also known as the yeast that is responsible for yeast infections. If you don't believe me, here's a link to the actual website page.

I just can't make this stuff up. Gosh I hope this dress comes with a tube of Monistat.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Oh my.

Doubly unfortunate.

Good luck finding a beautiful gown!

6:24 PM  
Blogger thnidu said...

Well... it's not entirely dumb. "Candida" is Latin for "bright white, glistening" (like new-fallen snow or clean linen fabric), in the feminine singular, which makes it a reasonable name for that gown.

Our word "candid" comes from that, with its implications of purity. I suppose the yeast was named (in 1923, according to the OED) for its color. As the Wikipedia article mentions, the second part of the name of "the most significant member of the genus" means 'whitish'.

"Candidate" also comes from the same root, as Roman men campaigning for public office wore the "toga candida", the white toga, as a symbol of purity. Make of that what you will.

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian, Orthoëpist, and Philological Busybody

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Candida is actually a girls' name as well as a Latin word-- it just means "white," so even though you yourself think first of the yeast, it's legitimate... if not advisable. I've actually met someone named Candida and it didn't seem strange to me at the time. I didn't make the association you did.

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home